Monday, June 28, 2010

Evan Cheverie

Evan Cheverie is an example of a Charlottetown native who chose a different route in professional hockey. After a brief stint in the AHL, Cheverie packed his bags and headed to Europe. Here is what he had to say about the experience,
I am enjoying the European hockey so far. I have played in England, France, Norway and have played against teams in Germany, Italy, Denmark, Switzerland and the Netherlands. The hockey in Europe is quite different from North America. The ice surfaces are larger so the games are generally faster skating and the players have higher skill level. Also the hockey over here is not as physical, clean body checks are sometimes mistaken for dirty hits and unwarranted penalties are called. There season consist of less games typically 40-50 regular season games instead of 70-80. Also the travel is typically much easier in Europe.

Most memorable hockey moment,

I have had many memorable moments in my hockey career. It is hard to single out one as the best. I guess scoring my first AHL goal, that was something special. I scored another goal later in that game, it was a confidence builder to score at that level. I also remember scoring an OT winner when I played at Miami Univ. There was only 7 seconds on the clock, the fans went nuts it was exciting.

Biggest influence,

I have had a lot of coaches, teammates, friends and of course my family especially my Mom and Dad who have had a positive impact my career. My parents have been the biggest help by guiding and supporting me along the way. They helped build the foundation, making sure i had a strong work ethic and positive attitude. What else can a young aspiring hockey player ask for.

Why Europe?

I had many offers to play in various parts of Europe early in my career. I chose to go to Europe after i played three years splitting time in the AHL and ECHL. I had an opportunity in 2005-2006 to play pro hockey in England for the Coventry Blaze. I was able to obtain a M.B.A at Coventry Univ. during my stay in Coventry. It was a great way to see another part of the world, play a high level of hockey and further my education. That's how my European career started.

No comments:

Post a Comment