Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Former Rocket: Riku Korpinen

Riku Korpinen came to the PEI Rocket via the 2004 European draft and dawned a Rocket jersey for 62 games during the 04/05 regular season. He responded to a few questions about his time on the Island.
What kind of hockey player would you call yourself?
I always considered myself as a defensive defenseman. I was never too good with the puck but I was a pretty good skater.

What was it like coming to PEI as a European? Was it hard adjusting to life in PEI and North American hockey?
At first I was pretty nervous about going to PEI for a hole season but the people there were so friendly and nice that I had no problems adjusting. The biggest thanks goes to my billet family. Their house felt like a home away from home straight away. The Hockey was were it got tricky. The hockey in North America is way faster and more physical than here in Finland. For the first couple of months it felt like I was never going to be as fast or as strong as the guys there but when I got used to it, it was ok.

What was your overall experience with the PEI Rocket?
The Rocket were a great team to play for. We had a lot of great guys playing for the team that year. The organization was fantastic also. It felt like I was playing for a professional team.

No comments:

Post a Comment