Monday, June 28, 2010

Short Q & A With Shane Turner

Charlottetown native Shane Turner only played 2 seasons of professional hockey, both with the Indianapolis Checkers, the New York Islanders farm team. What makes his story so impressive is that he came very close to not only breaking into the NHL, but doing so with the best team in hockey at the time.
(Photo taken at NY Islanders training camp)

How did you end up in the Islanders organization?

I was playing hockey at the University of PEI and was scouted there by the New York Islanders. I negotiated my first contract myself.

Your experience at the NY Islanders training camp,

I attended three training camps with the Islanders. My first year I came the closest being the last forward sent to the farm team in Indianapolis. I had led trainig camp in scoring that year. (which is kind of misleading as the veterans only play a few games while the rookies, such as I played them all).

What kind of player would you have described yourself as?

I was a very good skater, was very fast and had a great shot.

The Checkers were a high caliber hockey team with many players going on to play in the NHL. What kind of experience was it like playing on such a team? Do you have any favorite moments or stories?

Playing three games in four night in three different cities. Leagues wouldn't allow that to happen today but I was lost didn't know what city I was in, it was a world win of a time.

What was the highlight of your hockey career?

Playing with Kevin Devine, Garth MacGuigan and Dave Cameron, three other PEislanders.

Shane's Hockey Stats

No comments:

Post a Comment